FORT WORTH – TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine assistant professor Lori Atkins, M.D., and Scott Langston, Ph.D., a full-time faculty member in the Religion department at Texas Christian University who also serves as TCU’s Native American Nations and Communities Liaison, were guests on FWMD LIVE on November 5 discussing Native American Heritage Month and health care for Native Americans.
During the discussion they both shared information about how COVID-19 has disproportionately affected Native Americans as well as some of the challenges faced by health care providers providing treatments for Native Americans.
Watch the full discussion below.
Here is a list of resources where you can learn more about Native Americans:
- Urban Inter-Tribal Center of Texas https://uitct.org/(located in Dallas)
- Urban Indian Health Institute https://www.uihi.org/
- National Council of Urban Indian Health https://www.ncuih.org/index
- National Indian Health Board https://www.nihb.org/index.php
- First Nations Health Authority https://www.fnha.ca/
- Cherokee Nation Health Services https://health.cherokee.org/(as an example of tribal health services)
- White Bison https://whitebison.org/
- National Museum of the American Indian https://americanindian.si.edu/(for general information; for specific tribes/nations, see their individual websites; for instance, for the Comanche Nation https://comanchenation.com/)
- Indian Health Service https://www.ihs.gov/