The Compassionate Practice™
What’s an Empathetic Scholar™? Our graduates will be compassionate, empathetic and prepared to discover the latest knowledge in medical care and equipped with the tools to ask and answer the medical questions of the future. Along with the ability to “walk in a patient’s shoes,” these physicians will excel in the science of medicine. Outstanding communicators and active listeners, empathetic scholars are life-long learners and highly valued as physicians, colleagues, leaders and citizens in their community.
How are Empathetic Scholars™ created? The Compassionate Practice™ is an interdisciplinary curriculum designed to build skills in awareness, listening, inquiry and engagement to foster exceptional connections between physicians and their patients, their teams, and their communities. We use theatre pedagogy to train doctors to improvise, build authentic connections, and take responsibility for their audience. We use journalism and narrative medicine techniques to train doctors to speak in a language appropriate to their audience’s understanding. Through the use of storytelling and written narratives, our students will learn to connect, reflect and build resilience. Bolstered by public health, psychology, diversity, communication research, and more, The Compassionate Practice™ provides an impactful foundation to prepare our students to become resilient, empathetic physicians and globally conscious leaders.
In the News: The Compassionate Practice™
- KERA News: New Approach Draws Students to Fort Worth Medical School
- Dallas Morning News: NFL Kicker Rolf Benirschke Inspired Me to Fight My Childhood Illness. Then, We Met Again.
- Scientific American: Making Medicine More Compassionate
- Dallas Morning News: A Doctor Who Actually Listens? New Fort Worth Medical School Aims to Train Students in Empathy
- TCU 360: 60 Students Start at TCU and UNTHSC’s New Medical School
- Star-Telegram: One vision. Two universities. Three years of work. The payoff: A new medical school
- NBC 5: Two Connect 35 Years After Facing Life-Threatening Illness
- Insight Into Diversity Magazine: Teaching Communication and Compassionate Care Skills
- KERA News: Avoiding Jargon, Building Empathy Will Be Focus at New Fort Worth Medical School
- Fort Worth Business Press: Empathetic Communication Course Debuts
- D Magazine CEO Healthcare: New DFW Medical School Announces Assistant Dean of Communications