Meaningful community engagement is critical for the School of Medicine. Community-oriented partnerships bring together academic institutions, neighborhood organizations, health service providers, business, philanthropic supporters and governments in an unprecedented manner to launch joint ventures aimed at addressing critical health care needs. We will develop and strengthen current community connections and bring relevant stakeholders together to harness the many assets of the School of Medicine and its universities to improve the health status and welfare of our community.
Virtual Blood Drive
Our communities are in desperate need of blood donors due to an unprecedented number of cancellations during the coronavirus outbreak. TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine students are asking individuals to take part in a Virtual Blood Drive. Here’s how you can help:
1. Pledge your participation at https://rcblood.org/3aqU1gQ
2. Schedule an appointment with the pledge link or at your local blood center. In DFW, contact Carter BloodCare at www.carterbloodcare.org
3. Donate blood!
4. Post a picture or video on social media of your “I Gave Blood” sticker or your donation using #fwmdblooddrive
5. Tell your family and friends to participate!
Fort Worth PPE Drive
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, health care providers, hospitals and health systems are facing unprecedented shortages of personal protective equipment, or PPE. Some health care partners in the Fort Worth area report less than a 5-day supply of the critical PPE needed to protect our frontline heroes in the battle against COVID-19.
To address this critical need, students at the TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine are collecting donations of new and unused masks, gloves, and gowns for immediate distribution to our community providers, clinics, and nursing homes.
Through April 20, medical students will collect new and unused PPE at TCU’s Frog Alley Parking Garage, 3417 W. Cantey Street, Fort Worth, TX 76109.
There are several ways to get involved in the PPE Drive:
- Donate PPE by dropping off items at TCU’s Frog Alley Parking Garage, 3417 W Cantey St, Fort Worth, TX 76109, or contact MDPPE@tcu.edu to schedule a shipment.
- Contact companies and organizations for PPE donations.
- Share SOM social media posts on your personal social media accounts using the hashtag #FWMDPPE.
- Talk to your family and friends about the drive and ask them to share SOM social media posts!
Join the SOM Virtual “Couch 2 Cure” Drive! Our first-year medical students who are part of the Oncology Interest Group have launched a Virtual Bone Marrow Drive campaign! One of the perks of joining our campaign is you will be able to complete everything in the comfort of your own home!
There are 3 basic guidelines for joining Be the Match:
- Must be 18-44 years of age
- Be in general good health
- Be willing and committed to donate to any patient in need